Hi there blog readers - it’s been far too long! I’ve been busy editing my novel - and with writing the screenplay of BELFAST GIRLS. Hope to have good news to report on both fronts soon. I’ve also just had a short-ish play on in London (at the Southwark Playhouse) called TUSSY, about the life of Eleanor Marx. This received some lovely reviews and I am currently researching the subject further so as to create a full-length play (and possibly a screenplay, too). Michael Davis of Female Arts Magazine said of the Southwark show ‘…my favourite play opened the second half of the evening...Tussy by Jaki McCarrick (directed by Sharon Willems)…I would love to see a full-length version of this play.’
I had a wonderful cast for this piece too, with Jess Murphy (with whom I’d worked at the National when I was on attachment in 2012) resoundingly brilliant as Eleanor Marx and Mike Corsale excellent as the British Trade Unionist, Will Thorne. I can’t wait to create the full-length version.
Earlier in the year there was a wonderful reading of my first play, The Mushroom Pickers, at RADA as part of the 'Women at RADA' series. This was directed by the fantastic Tilly Vosburgh and starred Rose O’Loughlin and Keith Dunphy. I really must adapt this play as a screenplay as it’s so cinematic. It was lovely to see those characters again.
Later in the year I will be spending some time at Tin Jug Studios in Birr as their Writer-in-Residence. I’ve never been to Birr so I’m really looking forward to that. I am aiming to complete my second short story collection there – Night of The Frogs. The title story will appear in Canada’s Fiddlehead magazine later this year.
Other projects in the pipeline are – apart from a heap of book reviews, an article I’ve to research, and a couple of appearances at festivals this year – a September gig for my band Choice (will keep you posted on that one) and hopefully a new anthology of my shorter plays.
I’ve also got some poetry in the forthcoming anthology of the best of the Cork Literary Review, edited by Kathy D’Arcy.
Meanwhile, my brother Roger is recovering very well from his recent heart transplant in California. He has been an absolute model patient in that his test results are consistently good, he does his exercise, has mastered a complex schedule of medication and has a great mental attitude. Thanks to all those who contributed to the recent #IHeartRogerMcCarrick campaign. Please like the page on Facebook and on Twitter at @rogermccarrick1
Comments
Post a Comment